UPDATE ON BOND PROJECTS
On June 26, 2012, residents within the Weber School District boundaries approved a $65 million bond to fund construction improvements to existing facilities and construction of new schools. Construction began in earnest after the election and will continue into 2017. A brief update of the projects is as follows:
- Rocky Mountain Jr. High School: Final construction will be finished by January 1, 2014 for ten additional classrooms to help alleviate overcrowding at the school.
- Wahlquist Jr. High School: Construction began for the new junior high school in Farr West in the summer of 2012 which will replace the current 70 year old Wahlquist Jr. High School. The beautiful new school is located at 2400 West 2700 North. Plans are in place to open the new school in August 2014.
- North Park Elementary School: A land swap between Weber School District, Roy City and the Redevelopment Agency allows the school district to build a new North Park Elementary School on the corner of 4000 South and 2175 West in Roy adjacent to the current school building. The current school was built in 1955 and needs to be replaced because of age and lack of functionality. Groundbreaking occurred in May of 2013 and the school will be ready for students for the August 2014-15 school year.
- West Weber Elementary School: This is the oldest school in our district at 83 years old. It has certainly stood the test of time but it is time to welcome a new school. The new West Weber Elementary will be built on the same site as the existing school. The old school will be demolished and construction for the new school will tentatively begin in the spring of 2014 with completion slated for the fall of 2015 school year.
- Bonneville Cone Elementary School: Club Heights and Mar Lon Hills Elementary Schools will be combined into a new school that will be constructed on the old South Ogden Jr. High School site. Construction for the new building will begin in the summer of 2015 with completion anticipated for the beginning of the 2016-17 school year.
- North Ogden Jr. High Gymnasium and Cafeteria: The remodel project for North Ogden Jr. High School will tentatively begin in the spring of 2016 and will be completed during that following school year.
- New Growth Project: Recently, Weber School District purchased the building just west of the current Two Rivers High School on 12th Street in Ogden. The district is will be holding the “Project Lead The Way” classes in this building along with the District’s Online programs. In order to help alleviate growth issues in the district high schools, some CTE and regular magnet programs will be offered in the new building. This facility will be ready for opening for the school year of 2014-15.
Lex L. Puffer