As we begin another school year, we are excited to welcome over 31,000 students back to school. We are fortunate to have such dedicated teachers and administrators who work hard to ensure that our educational objectives are being met. We also appreciate the dedicated service of our amazing support professionals who work so diligently behind the scenes to create an environment conducive to teaching and learning. We extend our thanks to the patrons of Weber School District who supported passage of the $65 million bond last June which will enable the District to build new schools and renovate existing ones to assist with student growth. Following is a tentative timeline of school construction and projects made possible by the bond.
- Wahlquist Jr. High School (new construction) Begin July 2012 – Open August 2014
- North Park Elementary School (new construction) Begin July 2012 (planning) – Open August 2014
- Rocky Mountain Jr. High School (10 classroom addition) Begin July 2012 (planning) – Open August 2012
- West Weber Elementary School (new construction) Begin June 2013 (planning) – Open August 2015
- North Ogden Jr. High School (renovation of Gym and Cafeteria) Begin June 2013 (planning) – Open August 2015
- Mar Lon Hills/Club Heights Elementary School (new construction) Begin June 2014 (planning) –Open August 2016
- Other Projects (ongoing)
We will continue our work this school year with the Utah Core State Standards which includes college and career-readiness standards which have been incorporated in the K-12 standards. The Utah State Board of Education again gave permission for school districts to spend up to two school days for the purpose of training, planning, collaboration and application of the Utah Core Standards. We have identified October 26 and January 11 to implement these trainings.
We look forward to this school year and the opportunity we each have to make a difference in the lives of our students.