The Weber School District Board of Education is seeking a qualified candidate for the position of Superintendent of Schools. The individual selected for the position will fill the vacancy created by the retirement of Dr. Jeff Stephens, who will retire on June 30, 2022, after serving as superintendent for the past 11 years.
Salary & Benefits
The compensation package will be competitive for the size of the school district in Utah and will be determined by professional preparation and successful experience in educational administration, as well as other qualifications. In compliance with Utah law, superintendents receive a two-year renewable contract.
Basic Requirements (Education & Experience)
- A master’s degree is required. Additional educational degrees preferred.
- Applicants must have or be qualified to obtain a Utah administrative license through the Utah State Office of Education.
- Teaching and recent administrative experience in a K-12 school system is preferred.
- A successful record of leadership experience and accomplishments.
- The application period will be open from Monday, January 3, 2022 until 4:00 p.m. on Friday, February 4, 2022.
- An appointed Citizens’ Committee will review and evaluate applications on February 10, 2022.
- Applications and evaluations will be submitted to the Weber School District Board of Education in mid-February. The board will review the applications and identify candidates to be interviewed.
- The board will interview the finalists February 21-25, 2022 and make a selection for the position.
- The new superintendent will be announced in board meeting on March 2, 2022.
Weber School District was established in 1905. We are the 7th largest school district in Utah. We are located in Weber County, the fourth most populous county in Utah, and the home to Weber State University and the Ogden Weber Applied Technical College. Situated between the Wasatch Mountains and the Great Salt Lake, the area offers an abundance of recreational opportunities like hiking, skiing, camping, fishing and other outdoor activities.
Weber School District is committed to provide educational experiences which motivate each student to become a lifelong learner, attain academic and personal potential, and enter the work force with the necessary skills.
We envision a child-centered school district where each student is given multiple opportunities to achieve his/her academic social, emotional, and physical potential in a safe, nurturing environment; where caring employees are committed to excellence based on best practices in instruction; and where educators, parents and community members are full partners in the education of children.
There are 45 schools in the district, which includes 29 elementary schools, 9 junior high schools, 6 high schools, plus Weber Online K-12 and the Canyon View Special Needs school. Seven of our elementary schools qualify as Title I schools
Weber School District provides educational services to over 33,000 students from diverse backgrounds and communities throughout the county. Our students and schools are strongly supported by the Weber School Foundation, a non-profit organization designed to enrich the lives of and provide enhanced educational experiences for every student.
Weber School District continues to grow, adding an average of 300-400 new students every school year. Much of this growth is occurring in the west and north areas of the county. The district typically goes out for bond every 4-6 years to help accommodate growth while replacing outdated, aging facilities.
A $279 million bond was approved by 60.51% of voters in the November 2021 election. The projects on the bond include a new high school, new junior high, new elementary in western Weber County and the rebuild of Roosevelt Elementary in Washington Terrace. The three new schools are tentatively scheduled to open in the fall of 2024.
Revenue By Fund
|Maintenance & Operation||260,223,786|
|5YR AVE PROPERTY VALUE GROWTH||13.01%|
Weber School District employs over 3,000 full-time certified and classified employees. The district has one of the top teacher retention rates in the state. This can be attributed to an innovative new teacher mentoring program and supportive work environment for teachers.
The district has a 90.41% graduation rate. We partner with local businesses, colleges and universities to provide a variety of educational opportunities and experiences to all students.
The district offers a wide range of educational options for families, including an early college high school (Weber Innovation) and a fully-online K-12 school (Weber Online).
As identified by parents, employees and
The Board of Education of the Weber School District is seeking an experienced administrator who:
Inspires trust, has high levels of self-confidence and optimism and models high standards of integrity and personal performance
Is willing to listen to input, but can make a decision when necessary
Has effective communication skills to include speaking, listening and writing
Is strongly committed to a student-first philosophy in all decisions
Has experience with employee groups (e.g., teachers, support professionals, etc.)
APPLYING FOR THE POSITION OF
SUPERINTENDENT OF SCHOOLS
To be considered for this position, applicants must submit their file by 4:00 p.m. MDT on Friday, February 4, 2022. Electronic submissions are preferred. The file must contain the following:
- A formal letter indicating your desire to be considered as a candidate for the position of Superintendent of Schools of Weber School District;
- A completed Superintendent Application Form. This form is available on the Utah School Boards Association website: www.usba.cc;
- A complete set of current college credentials;
- Three confidential and professional letters of recommendation;
- A current resume, including a list of professional accomplishments with an emphasis on experience as an administrator; and
- A written expression of philosophy and vision for leading Weber School District.
All required materials should be submitted to:
Richard Stowell, Utah School Boards Association
860 East 9085 South, Sandy, UT 84094
Questions regarding the application process should be directed to Director Stowell, not to Weber School District administrators or board members.